[TowerTalk] More: Antenna Bleed Resistor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More: Antenna Bleed Resistor
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 07:15:14 -1000

> On a dry snowy (?)  winter day, the discharge of charge from
>snow flakes can build up the voltage until it arcs to ground
>(or through your receiver).  I understand that static build up
>can even result from dust.

Here on the Island of Kauai they say that frost was once seen
up at Koke'e,  the state park on this island at about 4000 foot
elevation above the sea.  I heard thunder one day
two years ago;  and the year before that,  saw some flashes
out over the ocean one night,  up in the clouds.  Of course,
7 years ago about now,  my big 4-el  Cub.  Quad antenna
was destroyed by Hurricane Iniki!

But,  still glad I live Kauai.  Present conditions:  temp,  68 F ;
rel.  humidity,  61%;  dew point,  66 F ; rain over
night,  .01";  wind,  3-5 trades,  NE;  highest gust,
16 mph last evening at 6:20 pm (all per my Davis Weather
Monitor II.      Nice place for a QTH.

BTW,  thrilled with the performance from the C4 atop the new
MA-550 tower,  plus 14 foot or so mast.  C4 up about 60 feet;
heard noon time DX from both Italy and Spain with this set up
the other day.  First EU DX at high noon on 20 meters out here
in years!

73,  Jim,  KH7M