[TowerTalk] Tower removal

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower removal
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:00:12 EDT
In a message dated 99-09-20 11:40:31 EDT, mwdink@eskimo.com writes:

> Here is one we took down this weekend.
>  New home owner just wanted it down, no cost.
>  An old CB antenna installation on Rohn 25 - one of those quad looking
thing'
>  Sometimes you have to walk away from these things or just push 'em over.
>  Not worth the risk. This one was close. Thank goodness it was only three
>  sections.
>
>  The bottom was in cement - the only thing right - almost.
>
>  The house "Bracket" was pipe strapping (that metal roll stuff with the
>  holes in it) over two of the legs nailed to the railing of the deck. The
>  deck was in worse shape than the tower - don't know who was holding who up.
>
>  Two guys wires - cloths hanging wire - to the 4 foot chain link fence. NO,
>  not the cemented posts but the horizontal members.
>
>  Cut the bottom section from the concrete pad which was covered in 6 inches
> of
>  wet dirt. The water just flow out from the legs from lack of drainage.

        YIKES! Glad you got it down okay.

       WARNING: Dismantling an unknown tower is THE most dangerous tower task
you can undertake (only a little bit of humour there). I've heard a lot of
horror stories around this activity and encourage everyone to be *extremely
careful* when attempting to do this.

      Before you do anything, check all the ground-level hardware. Pull and
push on things during your visual inspection to see if you can spot any
potential problems.

      And if there's any doubt - walk away. I've walked away from several
jobs over the years and have never regretted it. If you really need to get it
down, either call in the professionals or bring in a piece of equipment like
a crane or boomtruck - that way at least you won't be climbing on it.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products