[TowerTalk] What is "normal" soil?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What is "normal" soil?
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 09:32:25 -1000
At a former QTH where we lived in the Calif.  Santa
Cruz Mountains,  above San Jose,  our soil was
analyzed -- both "silty sandstone and sandy
siltstone"!!?  One appeared more brown, other
a bit more yellow.

However,  it was very cracked stone.  In 1989 we found
out why.  Out lot was about 3/4 mile from the San Andreas
fault, but which sloped directly under our home about 3 or 4
kilometers down (USGS mearsures things in kilo'ms).

After repairing damage to home,  while listening to the
on-going after shock induced landslides about us,  we
sold the house and moved out here to KH6 land.
(Fellow who bought the home said a big quake would
not come again to that area for decades to come;
USGS says same magnitude,  7.1,  probabliltiy
50%,  tomorrow some where along the fault between
Los Gatos and about Burlingame, most probably
epicenter,  up behind Redwood City!)  We happily
sold to him;  a cash deal!

Will never again live where I can see a lot of cracks
and funny looking folds in the rocks around the place,  hi.

Of course,  about a year after getting here,  Iniki blew
over us;  wiped out my big quad.  So much for big
antennas out here. Will take another Cat 4 or so
hurricane anyday than  to experience another 7+ quake!

73,  Jim, KH7M