[TowerTalk] HyGain 40 meter 2 element Discover 7-2

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HyGain 40 meter 2 element Discover 7-2
From: petrich@u.washington.edu (John Petrich)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 19:56:46 -0800
Paul,

    I do have comments on the value of a 40 meter yagi on a 60' tower.

    I have conducted systematic survey of all DX stations that I work from
my home station regarding their equipment and antenna installations, for
years.  My unequivocal conclusion is that, on 40 meters, a yagi on a 20
meter tower = 60 feet is quite a performer and sets the station
significantly ahead of those using lesser antennas.  I have also operated
from VK3 on 40 meters for a period and conducted the same survey in reverse
on US stations.  Same conclusions.  The 2 el yagis at 60' were clear stand
outs compared to all verticals and dipoles in trees.

    Don't be intimidated by those operators fortunate enough to have stacked
systems at 200'.  There is no comparison with that type of high performance
installation.  But,  the vast majority of operators have much more modest
installations.  Don't let the opportunity to put up such an antenna pass you
by if you can safely swing it.  You'll be happy that you did.

Regards,
John Petrich, W7FU