[TowerTalk] Baluns and SWR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Baluns and SWR
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 06:05:43 -0400
> Tom, if you are bringing your coax cables down to a coax switch mounted
> near the bottom of the tower, would you still recommend bonding the shield
> of the coax? If so, do you bond it as close to the balun as possible - the
> mast of the beam, or somewhere on the tower, or does the grounded coax
> switch take care of this? I am planning on using the Force 12 B-1 baluns.

The coax should always be grounded at the top of the tower when
a balun is used. That insures the cable shield is at tower potential
for both lightning and RF.

I had a bad case of TVI once because a barrel connector was just
barely away from the tower leg (held away the distance of a few
layers of tape), it would arc to the tower leg. Just the smallest arc
100 feet in the air will really wipe out TV sets! I had TVI for a mile
on fringe channels.

I also had a case where a feedline was arcing to the tower leg
through the jacket of some hardline through a steel hanger 1/4 wl
down from a dipole's feedpoint! Grounding the cable at the top fixed
both problems, so I now make it a point to ground at each end of
the tower. Usually I have an antenna switch at the bottom.

It is important for both RF and lightning (which has high levels of
RF energy) that the shield is grounded.

I ground the cable as close to the balun as I can, but only on the
shack side of the balun. You certainly do not want to ground the
shield around 1/8 to 3/8th wave away from the feedpoint if you are
using a choke balun, because the balun works best when the
common mode cable impedance is low.

It's a good idea to have a good connection between the mast and
the tower, if you have a rotor.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----