[Towertalk] Insurance companies-->Coverage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Insurance companies-->Coverage
From: JBaumgarte@aol.com (JBaumgarte@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 11:25:42 EDT
In a message dated 5/8/2002 9:49:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
k6sdw@hotmail.com writes:

> Regarding the insurance question, what if when your 90-footer goes over in a
>
> nasty windstorm it manages to slam into your neighbor's brand new $40K SUV
> wrecking it (I know, this is a stretch, but hey s... happens all the time!)
>
> -- now you have a serious problem on your hands so you better hope you
> understood your insurance policy and what it did cover and what it didn't
> cover....
>
> My understanding of insurance companies and adjusters is that they work
> really hard at minimizing their financial responsibility towards their
> customers, so if there's a loophole to find regarding towers and legal
> questions, they'll find it and there goes your coverage.....
>
> 73...../ed

First of all your last statement is not at all true for most claims people.
Folks just have to be more astute in reading their policies a bit to see what
they are getting and what they are not!

If your tower goes over on the neighbors new SUV, this is where the question
of the quality of your installation comes into play.  If a tornado comes
through, takes your tower out, and you had a quality installation--up to
manufacturers (tower) code, you probably aren't liable--the neighbors
comprehensive coverage on his SUV pays.  If, however, you have a junky
installation and it goes down in a 40 MPH wind--you probably are liable under
the liability portion of your policy.  (Interestingly, your policy would
probably pay for the tower, unless it's specifically excluded, because it is
wind damage, but the company would probably axe you after the fact, for poor
engineering.)  The same scenario applies if your big oak tree goes down on
the neighbors house--his policy pays for his damage, your's pays for yours.
It gets testy when there are deductibles involved.

John, N0IJ

Although I'm not in the insurance business, I was--years back, so there could
be changes in the law, but I think most of this still applies.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---