[Towertalk] Re: [Towertalk]Support Structure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: [Towertalk]Support Structure
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:14:16 -0400
A mast is round and solid.

A tower may be round and solid, or latticed.

An antenna support structure is BOTH, which is why many bylaws and state
laws use the expression "antenna support structure." 47 CFR Section
97.15(b), the codification of PRB-1, calls them "Station antenna
structures."  Quote:
. . . a station antenna structure may be erected at heights and
dimensions sufficient to accommodate amateur service communications.
(State and local regulation of a station antenna structure must not
preclude amateur service communications. . . .
DA 99-2569 and DA 00-2468 refer to "antennas and support structures," as
well as "amateur radio antenna structure[s]."

I suggest that it is not a "big red mark" to call these things antenna
support structures. Instead, it might raise a red flag if they were
called masts.

Atty. Fred Hopengarten K1VR             hopengarten@post.harvard.edu
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
781/259-0088 *eFax 419/858-2421

On Tue, 21 May 2002 11:37:45 -0700 Chris BONDE <ve7hcb@rac.ca> writes:
> "When does a mast become a tower, and, vice versa?".
>
> My dictionary describes
>      mast as a long pole of wood or steel set upright to support the
> sails and rigging of a ship
>   2 any upright pole, flag mast, a TV mast,    (so why not a radio
> mast?)
>      tower as a high structure that may be completely walled in, or
> may consist only of a framework of metal or wood, .... ... 2 a fortress

> 3 a  very tall building
>
> I would try   using mast first then antenna support, simpler the
> better.
>
> Chris opr VE7HCB

> At 11:06 AM 2002-05-21 -0400, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
> >...    (BTW the guys in the Tower Legal Forum at Dayton said
> >to use the term "antenna support structure" when talking to the
> local building authorities and governments since 'tower' has a more
> negative connotation.)

> >Steve    K7LXC         TOWER TECH

multipart/alternative
  text/html