[Towertalk] Feedlines inside or out?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Feedlines inside or out?
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 20:55:19 +0100
N3RR wrote:
>That's all I can think of.  Any others?

        Another reason to run all lines inside towers is
if you plan to shunt feed them on 80 or 160.  This may also
require grounding the hardline periodically so voltages do
not develop between the coax and tower.  This happens
automatically if you use hose clamps and bare hardline
since you will want one about every 10' to hold the cable,
but it may be an issue if your hardline is jacketed.

        Running cables inside towers is not too difficult.
I ran 3 rotator cables, my WX0B control cable and 3/4" CATV
hardline inside my 100' tower by myself.  I used a gin pole at
the top with the rope feeding down the center and pulled the
gin pole rope with one hand as I lifted the cables with the
other, slowly working my way up the tower.  The only trick is
to make sure the cables do not enter at such a sharp angle
that they bind (i.e. do not feed hardline into the tower at
the very bottom rung).

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV