[Towertalk] [OT] weatherproof tape for antennas?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] [OT] weatherproof tape for antennas?
From: w5kp@swbell.net (Jerry Kincade)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:21:39 -0500
You can find Scotch 33 or 88T at any electrical supply house or distributor.
You won't usually find it at the hardware store. 88T is what we use at Ma
Bell for outside work, not a bad testament to its quality. It's just a tad
thicker version of regular 88 to give quicker buildup on thick wraps. It's
also harder to stretch out, and doesn't look as pretty as 33 when you are
done. Either works great. Don't forget to cut it with scissors or a sharp
knife at a *non-stretched* section. If you stretch it first and then cut it,
it will pull it's own end loose eventually, resulting in what's called
"flagging" or an ugly loose end flopping in the breeze. If you are doing
antenna or tower work and esthetics are important, you can look a little
harder and use Scotch 35, which is 33 in living colors (including gray,
which is great for a nice low profile look on antenna booms/elements and
tower legs). See http://www.3m.com/elpd/pdfs/prem_vinyl_tape_poi.pdf. Expect
to cough up over $3.00 per roll, a bit cheaper by the 10-pack. It's worth
every penny.
73, Jerry W5KP