[Towertalk] Hy-Gain HG-54HD cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Hy-Gain HG-54HD cable
From: na4m@arrl.net (Phil Duff)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 02:52:23 +0000
At 17:41 7/22/2002 -0400, Roger Borowski wrote:
>Over the years I've had three trap failures on Hygain TH6/TH7's. Every failure
>was on one of the driven elements. Each time I could easily see the problem
>trap "light up inside" through the drain holes at night with binoculars
>while I
>activated the VOX with an HT via a 2 meter rig next to the mic on the bands
>with high SWR at 400-500 watt level. Upon disassembly each time I found the
>coil form insulators carbon tracked beyond repair from the burning of bugs and
>debris inside the trap necessitating replacement of the trap.

I've had to replace TH6/7 traps for the same reason - trap full of roasted
bug debris.

After the last occurrence I thought I would try something to keep the
buggers out - I purchased fiberglass window
screening material and cut it into narrow strips wide enough to cover the
trap drain holes and then
used black tape in 3 or 4 places around the trap to hold the screen
material in place over the drain
holes.   Should keep critters out of the trap insides but still allow
moisture to drain.

73 Phil NA4M

....- --
Phil Duff NA4M     na4m@arrl.net   Georgetown, Texas