[Towertalk] Shunt Feed Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Shunt Feed Tower
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:18:19 -0400
At 06:45 PM 22-10-2002, N8DE wrote:
>Yes,
>Shorten the shunt wire [gamma] to about 45 feet.
>All that hardware on top of the tower makes the tower look very long to
>the feedline!
>Not exactly sure what capacitance will tune it at that gamma length,
>but, if you used an antenna analyzer, you'd get it right in not much
>time at all !

Well, I dunno... I went through a long and painful process of trying to
find a point on my similarly loaded tower that would give 50 ohms when fed
with a shunt wire and a series capacitor.  Never did.  Finally, I added a
second capacitor for an omega-match configuration, and had a 1:1 match at
1830 in about 10 minutes.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower