[TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters (was "Concrete suggestions")

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters (was "Concrete suggestions")
From: EvanB@Valmont.com (Burroughs, Evan)
Date: Thu Apr 17 14:35:15 2003
Hello Gentlemen,

Being in the tower industry I fairly often have to field this question of
reinforcing a self supporting tower with guy wires.

As the engineers explain it me the fundamental issue is that Self supporting
towers are very stiff and guyed towers are very flexible.

They explain to me that for a self supporting tower to move enough for the
load to transmit into the guy wires it will have moved enough to over stress
the members it is constructed of therefore defeating the purpose of adding
guy wires.

My strong suggestion would be that anyone seriously contemplating such an
idea consult with a Registered Professional Engineer experienced with the
design and construction of communications towers.

Regards,

Evan Burroughs, N7IFJ
Technical Sales Support/Designer, Valmont Communications

503-316-2048 phone
503-589-6622 fax
evanb@valmont.com