[TowerTalk] Multi-Band Verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Multi-Band Verticals
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed May 7 02:31:34 2003
Ward wrote,  in part:

> In my experience, most multi-band verticals that work on
> more than three bands start to become seriously compromised
> on the lowest band.  Sometimes they are compromised on
> the highest band, as well.

> Like Steve said, we have written about this extensively in
> our Antenna Test books.

Well,  I would suggest that the Fluidmotion BigIR vertical be
one of the next ones you fellows test.  I have one out here;
up on the roof with 28  33foot radials,  spaced about 13 degrees
from one another.  The length of the radiating element is
set by stepper motors, and is very accurate and provides
amazing low swr and super radiating efficiency on all the
bands I have tried: 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10.  Also
covers 6m,  but I have no rig for that band!

There are no "hoo haws", traps, etc.  Just a variable length
radiating element.  Try one,  you will be surprised.

73,  Jim  KH7M