[TowerTalk] Bending Rebar

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bending Rebar
From: ersmar@comcast.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Wed Jul 2 12:59:38 2003
Jerry:

     I had to bend some #6 (3/4 inch diameter) rebar for use with my Trylon
foundation a couple of years ago.  It wasn't very difficult.  (Thanks to
Brian N8WRL for this technique.)

     I got a piece of iron pipe (from local plumbing supplier), about 1.5
inches diameter, and wedged it into the outrigger pad of the backhoe while
it was on my property to dig the tower hole.  An alternative that will work
is to use a long piece of the pipe and park your car's/truck's wheels on it
to keep it in place.  Insert the rebar into this pipe up to the point of the
intended bend.  (I marked this point with a piece of yellow tape.)

     Take a second piece of pipe about five or six feet long and place it
over the rebar up to the point of the intended bend.  Then lift the second
pipe, bending the rebar as you go.  The #6 rebar offered enough resistance
that I could control the amount of bend without overshooting the intended
angle.

     Brian bent several ninety degree angles this way; I used this technique
for a bunch of sixty degree angles.  It took me less than an hour to bend 24
pieces of rebar this way.  (I was sore, but satisfied with the results.)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F