[TowerTalk] re: Rohn 45

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: Rohn 45
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Fri Jul 11 10:54:08 2003
Hi Byron,

1 -- Flat plate top with the TB3 is a nice way to go. For one it allows you to
stand on the top flat plate to work on the mast/antennas. By all means add
another rotor shelf below the top, above the rotor. This will keep the mast
straight until you get the rotor in place, and also make it easy to remove the
rotator for maintenance. You can also just make a "T" with angle iron (or
aluminum angle stock) and use a couple of U-bolts to clamp down on the mast
when removing the rotor. This may be a little cheaper than another rotor plate.

I don't think there's a significant strength difference between the 45AG-4  vs.
a straight section with the BPL-45G for what you are planning to put on the
mast. BUT if you ever plan on extending the tower, it will be easier to just
remove the BPL-4 than a whole tower section. If you think this might be a later
option, you also may want to guy to the tower rather than the top plate (to
avoid needing the removal of the top set of guys). I have guyed Rohn 45 as much
as 18 feet below the top (allowing for side-mounting of antennas above the
upper guys).

2--You are correct on the long-term pier pin advantages. Temporary guying is a
one-time inconvenience.

3--Can't help on the equalizers -- have never used them. All my guys go to
fixed connections on elevated guy posts (concrete-filled tubing/pipe or
I-beams).

73/Jon AA1K

Hello-
    I would like to hear opinions from some of the followers here regarding a
few topics on a planned 90' 45-G tower, down near Gulf Coast.I am installing
per Rohn specs using concrete guy anchors, 1/4" EHS and Preformed Big Grips.
    1. I have always used the 2" ID tube top sections as they were convienant
when extending out a long mast.I plan to put up a TH7-DX just a few feet above
tower top and a 40 meter rotary dipole antenna above the TH7-DX, spaced maybe 8
feet or so. I am thinking of using the 45AG-4 flat top section with TB-3 thrust
bearing. Do you feel this is stronger as far as wind resistance? It sure
appears to me that the 45AG-4 with guy wires right at the outer edges of top
plate would be stronger.I believe in doing this I will need to use another
rotor shelf with an additional bearing or locking collar several feet below
flat-top in order to hold the extended mast straight.This setup is more costly
but seems worth it to me.
    Speaking of the flat top section 45AG-4, is there any strength difference
between using it as compared to using a straight section coupled to the BPL-45G
flat top plate with TB-3 bearing? This seems like a trivial point, only
involving the 3 feet of heigth gained with using the latter, but when you look
at the BPL-45G it has the 1-5/8" sleeves welded to it as compared to the 45AG-4
having 1-1/4" legs welded to it.Maybe the extra cost of the combination is not
worth it?
    2. I have always concreted base section in ground as it provided an easy
start in getting first few sections up before first guy level made.I believe I
am sold on using the concrete base plate { BPC-45G} and pier pin / bolt.Seems
like the described advantages of reduction in stresses at tower base, proper
drainage of legs are worth the trouble of using temporary guys.
    3. Is there a treatice on using the guy equalizer plates? I was a little
uncomfortable in using the 3 hole ones on the last installation as the plates
cocked over when placing the lower guy, then adjusted some with middle guy, but
when top guys were installed the tension had to be re-adjusted on all. The
interaction of the 3 guys made adjusting tension more complicated. Is there a
reason for this? Is the equalizer plate performing a certain function? You
know, you can buy the guy anchors with a 3 or 5 hole plate welded to them. It
is fixed and won't move.How does using this type anchor plate compare to the
equalizing type I wonder, as far as tower effects?
    Thank you all, Byron WA5THJ.