[TowerTalk] Verticals and Metal Roofs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Verticals and Metal Roofs
From: stevekz9g@speakeasy.net (Steven Gehring)
Date: Fri Jul 18 20:52:03 2003
Hi Paul,

Boy, this does sound like a great place to mount a HF vertical.  Bonding
each of the metal roofing sheets together with a short wire strap wouldn't
hurt anything, and seems prudent.  I'd recommend "lag bolting" each leg of
the tripod into the 2x4 truss frames under the metal roof.  Chances are you
can hit two of them without any problem.  The third one will probably be an
issue, based on my installation of a tower tripod on my roof in the early
eighties.  I'd investigate this, and maybe do some "engineering" by
installing additional bracing to accommodate the third leg, as well as
providing some additional structural support.  I think the idea would be to
help spread out the various forces applied to the trusses.  I'd consult a
contracting friend to get his opinion on the subject, too.

Best of luck!  It sure sounds like a great project!  By the way, I use a
ground mounted 4- band trap vertical in my backyard with success at the 150
to 200 watt level.  But, it also has 24 each 30+ foot radials under it now,
too.  I would like to say the vertical ISN'T a yagi or quad, but it works.
Just be sure to get a decent ground plane under them.

Good Luck and 73,

Steve, KZ9G/7