[TowerTalk] RE: [CQ-Contest] Testing Stubs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: [CQ-Contest] Testing Stubs
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Mon Aug 4 16:48:46 2003
Bob,

The impedance of the coax used to make the stub won't affect the results as
long as the stub is cut to the correct length for the velocity factor --
i.e., the correct electrical length. Since the velocity factor can vary from
batch to batch, or even within the same spool of coax, you can't just
measure to the theoretical length and cut. You need to use a noise bridge,
SWR analyzer, or TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) to measure the frequency
response of the stub. Stub response is relatively narrow, so I don't think
you will get very good results cutting stubs for a compromise between the CW
and SSB sub bands.

My stubs affect the SWR slightly on some bands. Sometimes it raises the SWR,
and sometimes it lowers the SWR!

You're right that the best medicine is separation between antennas.

73, Dick WC1M