Re: [TowerTalk] 160 Meter Antenna on a City Lot

To: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 Meter Antenna on a City Lot
From: Alan Beagley <ab2os@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 14:14:38 +0000
What about a (folded) unipole with an ATU? See pp. 7-47f. of the ARRL's _Hints and Kinks_ (15th. ed.). That's what I'm planning to try when I get my tower up.

Alan AB2OS

On 10/02/03 09:32 pm Lee Buller put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Ladies and Gents....
This summer, I lost the far leg support of my 160 meter Inverted-L. The 75 foot elm tree did not survive a 90 mph micro-gust (the tower did) and it broke in half. I have to cut the rest of it down.
That leaves me with a problem. I have other place to hang the horizontal leg of the 160 meter Inverted-L. So, what do I do? I have a 60 foot tower with a TH6DXX on the top, but my track record of shunt feeding the tower is not all that great. Yes, I have a pretty good ground under it...not great...but OK. I've used a lot of different variable caps on the shunt but tuning it has been 2:1 at best.
How about a trapped dipole? I can get a 80 meter inverted-vee on the lot. So, I was wondering if a trapped system would work and how well? I would think that the band width of such a device would be small, but so it s a shunt fed tower. as well as the Inverted-L.
So, anyone have some great ideas?