Re: [TowerTalk] Tashjian LM470 review requested

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tashjian LM470 review requested
From: gdaught6@Stanford.edu
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:02:05 -0700
On 15 Oct 2003 at 13:24, RWMaylott@aol.com wrote about Kashjian towers:

Well, I got a TriEx while the name still existed.  (Maybe the last one!?)

> I have had two problems of note:
> 1.  Although I have not heard of anyone else with this problem, I have a
> problem with the mast binding.  I have "good" rotation over only about 180
> degrees, despite numerous attempts to correct the problem (including getting
> an extra
> internal thrust bearing from Tashjian).  Don't know whether the top pipe may
> be a little out of plumb, or whether the "floating" rotor mount used in this
> design are contributing.

I have about 8 feet of mast in the top section of my tower; no problems.

> Another consideration is that there is no means of adjustment on the base,

Test-fit the tower to the base.  It would be much easier to adjust before
installation
than after!  (Mine was fine!)

> I spent an extra grand to hire a concrete contactor to dig the hold and
> ensure that the base got installed plumb.

I dug my own hole with my 65-year-old body.  The top bits of the base, where
the
tower actually attaches,  was prefabricated.  I found it really easy to build a
jig that
held the completed base in place and plumb.  We checked it during the pour
(pumped concrete) and it was no trouble keeping it plumb.

I don't know if the Kashjian towers are the same, so YMMV.