Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Meter Vertical Construction

To: "Macie, Gordon" <GMacie@innotrac.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Meter Vertical Construction
From: "Paul Playford" <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 19:00:02 -0000
I started with 1 1/4" od and stepped down from there on my 40m 4 square.
The feed point is 10 feet above the ground with elevated radials and each
element is guyed 3 ways at the middle.  Lots of room for the birds to roost.
It's been up at this QTH for 6 years.

When I had this antenna at a previous QTH with buried radials I clamped the
elements at each 6" overlap.  But the clamps did not hold so now each
overlap is rivited (2 ea 3/16" rivets each splice).  And I was not happy
with the buried radials - antenna didn't work as expected.

4 squares do work - with elevated radials, that is.

de Paul, W8AEF