RE: [TowerTalk] One more ground radial question

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] One more ground radial question
From: kb9cry@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:49:41 +0000
 I would agree 5 radials just won't cut it and your theory of impedance
changing during rain is probably right on.  Also your planned number of radials
of 12 - 24 is also low.  The best bet is 60 1/4 wavelength radials but any
number of shorter lengths will work.  My experience, with good loamy and clay
soils, is 45 is the minimum required.  I'd plan to install around that many if
you can; the 5 you have now is not enough.  Commercial stations usually use up
to 120 radials but extensive tests by amateurs have determined that 60 is
optimum.  Check this list's archives for past discussions.  Phil  KB9CRY