[TowerTalk] Anyone not need a permit to install their tower? - No permit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anyone not need a permit to install their tower? - No permit Required
From: "Noel" <y.yaesurigs@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:02:39 -0500
So I called my local city planners office to begin the process of
getting a permit to install a tower on my one acre lot. We live in a
kind of agricultrual area, but more horse-country than agricultrial.  At
first I'm told I'd need to get a "conditional use permit" to install my
tower.  But later when trying to get more details of what I'd need for
the permit, I speak directly with the city planner who tells me I don't
need a permit at all because the city ordinance requiring a "conditional
use permit" is only for towers over 75'.  And since my tower is only
60', he does not think I need a permit at all. He goes on to read from
the ordinance, and explains that it specifically exempts singe pole
radio structures and the like under 75'.  I'm a little concerned about
the words "single pole" because my tower is not a single pole.  But a
triangular tower with four guys wires.  I explain that to the city
planner and he still says I don't need a permit, if I keep the
installation under 75'.

So my concern is, if I install my tower without a permit, and keep it
under 75'.  What protection, if any, do I have if later someone
complains about my antenna and tower? Not that I expect it from my
neighbors but you never know.

According to the city planner, I can still get a "building permit" to
ensure the installation meets proper installation requirements, but that
it is not necessary.  I'm kind of relieved I don't have to get permit
but wonder if I should anyway, or just go ahead with my installation and
see what happens.

Thanks for any suggestions
Noel