RE: [TowerTalk] Climbing is risky business

To: <N8DCJ@YAHOO.COM>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Climbing is risky business
From: "Noel" <y.yaesurigs@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:43:43 -0500
Reminds me of an incident in basic training many years ago.  My first
job in the Air Force was as an antenna maintenance repairman (huah!),
and many of our antennas were installed on wooden telephone poles.  In
basic,  the test to see if you were inclined to succeed in this job, was
for you to climb a 35ft and later a 90ft pole.  The 35ft pole climb was
with the use of Gaffs and the 90 ft pole was using Gaffs up about 12
feet and had steps the rest of the way.

Many people of course didn't make it past the 35ft gaffed climb.  One
kid, spunky as hell, after falling a few times was determined to pass
the test.  He got halfway up on his third try and froze.  The TI, that's
Training Instructor for you non service experienced, tried to talk the
kid down for about 20 minutes.  Finally, in a fit of rage, or at least
we thought it was back then, had had enough.  He promptly sent another
kid for the chain saw.  When the TI fired up that big chain saw and
threatened to cut the pole down with the kid on it, the kid gingerly
began climbing down on his own.  He did fall and broke his ankle even
though they tried to soften the impact by putting sawdust around the
base of the pole. But because  he was so scared he wasn't jabbing his
gaffs into the pole as he was supposed to.  He was doing what we called,
"sneak-climbing".  And so his gaffs wouldn't hold his weight and he
fell.

The rest of us were afraid for him at first, but when the TI fired up
that big chain saw we all but died laughing as the kid about wet his
pants.

Memmories...
Noel