[TowerTalk] Question on concrete pour for self-supporting tower...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Question on concrete pour for self-supporting tower...
From: Mike Gilmer <n2mg1@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 05:47:39 -0800 (PST)
I'd feel better with a single pour.  But really
big jobs are done with smaller pours and enough
rebar.  For the strength aspects, you need to seek
an expert.  Sorry to not be able to answer your
original question.

However, in case you are still debating your
options...

Depending on the type and size/weight of the
bag, a typical bag of concrete is about 50-60
pounds and makes 1/3-1/2 of a cubic FOOT.
With 27 cu-feet per cu-yard, you'll need lots
of bags!

A few years ago, I had the situation of about
300 feet from road to tower base/guy holes for two
towers.  I considered hiring a pumper (another few
$100) to go along with the Redi-Mix truck.
However, I would have had to drag the concrete
pumping hose (full of concrete of course!) all
over hell and creation, through trees, etc.  So,
I opted for renting (~$175/day) a Bobcat-type
loader.  The loader holds about 1/3 cu yard. I
also had a few strong friends who brought
wheelbarrows.  With a RediMix truck you're "on
the clock" as soon as they show up so you need
to move fast.  They give you about 10-15 minutes
per yard then they start charging you for time.

I poured 6-7 yards for a tower 15+ years ago in
much less than a day with bags of concrete and a
portable mixer - was a lot of work even for men
in their 20's!  Most everyone you talk to who
have done that will say "Never again"  ;-)

Mike N2MG

http://mail.yahoo.com