Re: [TowerTalk] Rotators again

To: k4ik@subich.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotators again
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:17:46 -0400
At 09:54 AM 6/14/2004, Joe SUbich, K4IK wrote:
> However, I've often wondered why more hams don't use the trick that
> seems to be universal on the TV trucks with the pneumatic masts --
> they wind the coax around the mast instead of having a free-standing
> loop.

Unfortunately, all that winding around the mast is not rotation loop
(it's the way the mast extension is handeld).  The lines (actually
the "nycoil" conduit) are still attached firmly at the top/bottom of
the mast.  There are separate rotation loops for the RF cable going
to the microwave power amplifier (or transmitter) and the radio's
power/control cables.

OK, I take your point, but coiling the feedline around the mast in the way I described certainly strikes me as neater and less prone to error than the traditional floppy rotator loop.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on June 5, 2004
2728 contest stations at