Re: [TowerTalk] Need capacitor for Rotator

To: <ve6vdp@rac.ca>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need capacitor for Rotator
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:40:04 -0700
I suspect that the value is not critical (given 20%+ tolerances on most big
capacitors)
Try using a motor start capacitor (I assume that you're not rotating all the
time...) They'll be inexpensive, and typically rated at 200-300V, and you'll
find a value near 155 uF.

Since Alliance doesn't actually make motors, what you really want is the
appropriate cap for the motor.  I assume it's a 24VAC two phase/reversible
AC motor.  50V is the lowest rating voltage for these sorts of parts.    I'd
call around to motor rewinding/repair shops. It helps if you know the
general size of the motor when talking to them (what sort of current does it
draw under load?... convert the watts to HP)

Mail order from McMaster Carr is a possibility.