Re: [TowerTalk] Cable TV hardline question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable TV hardline question
From: Tim Holmes <W8TAH@Zoominternet.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:33:28 -0400
Yeah, thats what I was worrying about-- If anyone has any good suggestions, I would love to hear them, I hate to have this stuff just sitting around, not doing anything.

Tim

I would be concerned also, since the cable can cause an SWR
of over 2:1 at the radio.
Most VHF and UHF radios do not tolerate such a high SWR this
very well.

What you can do is build a transformer using lengths of 50
and 75 ohm cable mixed. It is pretty tricky to do this at
UHF, but it can be done if you have the test gear and are
careful. I don't have references, but I'd bet someone else
does. The devices are called non-synchronous transformers.

I certainly look into matching the cable at VHF or UHF, not
because of cable loss but because of bandwidth and impedance
problems at the radio. A 2:1 SWR is not good for most
radios.

73 Tom