[TowerTalk] Uneven Radials

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Uneven Radials
From: "Steve Gehring" <steveg@mtaonline.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 01:12:34 -0900
Hi Jerry,

I wouldn't think you'd see any directional qualities at all, but your
effective gain may be a bit lower, and your takeoff angle may be a bit
higher, in the direction of the shorter radials - if you were to equally
space all of your radials around the antenna.  If you do as you've
mentioned, that is doubling or tripling the quantity of radials in the
shorter radial directions, you may not perceive much of a change.

Conventional wisdom is to lay down as much copper you can, where you can,
and increase the density in the shorter directions, especially as you get
closer to the feed or maximum current point.  I believe having many 1/10th
wavelength long radials is just as good as (or better than) fewer
quarter-wave wires.  It's nice to have both (many short and several long
radials), too!

These assumptions are based on a ground mounted antenna with radials on top
of, or slightly buried, in the soil.

Good luck.

Steve, NL7W