Re: [TowerTalk] Galvanizing ChromeMoly?

To: <kd4e@verizon.net>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Galvanizing ChromeMoly?
From: "K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:38:52 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "doc" <kd4e@verizon.net>
To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 10:51 PM

sabrams@nycap.rr.com wrote:
If you spray it in place you will never get the mast out of the bearing. I have a 3" mast that I spray painted and it would not fit onto my precision 3" bearing. I had to take the bearing to a machine shop and have it turned out a couple of thousandths to get the mast in. GL 73 Saul K2XA

P.S. Spraying the mast won't protect the inside of the mast. No big deal, but you will get rust stains below it.

Painting the inside is almost as easy as painting the outside. (before it's installed)
I capped one end of 40 feet, thinned out some paint, poured in a quart, capped that end, and then tipped the pipe back and forth while rotating it. After making sure the entire inside was coated, I set it on an angle to drain. I removed the caps from both ends to let the air circulate through. On steel I used plain old Rusoleum primer.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

OK re. watching out for tower bearing tolerances -- I first have to drive the bent pipe out, will then check the clearances! I am guessing it may now have a little more play in it than before!

Since freezing is not an issue can I not cap the top and bottom
of the mast, removing the internal rust concern?

(It will be on a tiltover so no problem removing an end cap
if/when the mast needs to be moved.)

-- Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e A blessed and joy-filled New Year to all!

West Central Florida  100% Linux.  Suse 9.2
Hallicrafters, Heathkit, Homebrew, TenTec, Yaesu
Radio Life: http://www.gospelcom.net/twr/
Linux-Incompatible hardware is defective!