Re: [BULK] - RE: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid - Installing PL259

To: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>,"'Tower Talk'" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [BULK] - RE: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid - Installing PL259
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:43:20 -0800
From: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>
To: "'Jim Lux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>; "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>;
"'W7TMT'" <patrick@dayshaw.net>; "'Tower Talk'" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 2:08 PM

> Kind of an odd specification number, but, since that connector probably
> antedates World War II and all the modern style of specification (I'd
expect
> a MIL-C-xxx type spec for a connector), it could well be.
>
> ::It's really PL-259/SO-239.

So they never did a UGxxx part number for it? (since all the other
connectors, including waveguide flanges, are UG)

I suppose that a standard assembly procedure would probably be in a
handbook, as opposed to a parts specification (which would call out
dimensions, materials, test standards, etc.)

 A type N is really UG21X/U (e.g., UG21B/U,
> UG21C/U, UG21D/U) etc.  A BNC is really UG88X/U (e.g., UG88C/U) etc.  The
> PL-259 reducing adapters really are UG175/U, UG176/U, etc.  The
> double-female adapter for UHF connectors really is PL-258.  The applicable
> mil slash sheets can all be found by the P/N, just as they can for tubes,
> transistors, diodes and everything else.  The one that cracked me up was
> when, in researching mil specs, I came across the spec for the government
> issue brown paper lunch bag.  (It does have a spec, and a P/N.)  Made me
> wonder if they have a mil spec for the G.I. grilled cheese sandwich
(rubber
> on a raft...maybe MIL-S-ROR/1)...

If you buy it, it has to have a specification, even if the specification is
just a photocopy of the catalog page.
"The contractor shall deliver XXX pieces of part number XXX, in accordance
with specification YYY, as attached"

> Does the military even use PL-259/SO-239 type connectors any more?  Most
of
> the specs I've seen recently call out TNC, BNC, N, and SMA  for low power
RF
> (less than 20 GHz and less than a few watts) and "coaxial or waveguide,
> subject to approval" for high power.
>
> ::Don't know if there's any current application for PL-259s other than
> replacement parts nowadays.  Might be interesting to find out, but not all
> that interesting.  Of all those types you listed, the PL-259 can handle
more
> power (than any of those), so maybe there's still some use for it.

I was wondering (see earlier post) if there's some newer/better connector
than the PL-259. I'd love to find a "no soldering required" or "no more than
$100 crimp tooling" connector that can handle 1kW.  Hey, if there are dies
that fit in my crimp tool that cost $50, I'd spring for that in a second.
Back in the 10Base2 network days, I assembled/fixed entirely too many RG-58
connectors and came to love my stripping widget and crimping tool.

 I'm
> looking for the mil-spec waveguide-to-binding post adapter so I can use
> ladder line at 24 GHz :)  (WB2WIK/6)

It's those 24GHz Binding posts that cause the problem, you know.  To keep
the RF properties consistent, they can't have any knurling or ridges on the
posts, so they're tough to get a grip on. And, the cost of machining the
sapphire dielectric (for low loss... can't use grungy old bakelite) is kind
of high.  But if you're willing to tolerate a big VSWR, I can probably set
you up.  The loss in your ladder line will swamp all the reflected power
anyway.

I have a customized mount for the bridge you're going to buy to go over that
swamp land too...

Jim