[TowerTalk] Update: freestanding tower (not crank-up)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Update: freestanding tower (not crank-up)
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 11:01:57 -0700
Thanks for all the responses, guys.  I've learned a lot.  To summarize (so
far), it looks like it's going to be a Trylon if I want the best price, or
an AN Wireless if I want something higher end, or a Heights if I want
aluminum and/or foldover and have deep pockets.  Not too much feedback on
the shorty forty but those responses I did get recommended the OptiBeam and
the Force12 MAG-240N.

I did, however, neglect to add one thing to my original question.  My
location is such that it will be very difficult to get a crane in to lift
the tower.  That means assembling it a section at a time with a gin pole or
using a non-telescoping foldover.  From what I've seen so far, no one is
erecting either the Trylon or the AN towers with a gin pole.  Any thoughts
or experience with that?  Also, someone mentioned an aluminum AN Wireless
tower.  Was that a typo?  Looks like they are steel to me.

Oh, one other thing, I want to use my Orion 2800 rotor, so that needs to fit
inside the top section.

Thanks again for all the help.

73 - JC, k0hps@amsat.org