Re: [TowerTalk] Bazooka 1/4 wave balun

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>, "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bazooka 1/4 wave balun
From: "Peter Chadwick" <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:38:18 +0100
The resonance method is probably the best, but you have to be a long way
from the self resonant frequency of the coil.

If you're below about 0.8 of the SRF, the apparent resistance =
Ractual/(1-ye2)e2
and Lapparent = Lactual /(1-ye2)

where y is the frequency of operation/self resonant freq

e2 means squared.

Hartshorn's Radio Frequency Measurements By Bridge and Resonance Methods,
Chapman and Hall, London, 1940

is good on this.

But getting a Q of 500 isn't easy, anyway. I have got a Q of 350 on a coil
wound with bunched conductors at 2MHz. A length of Air Dux was almost as
good, and would be better at higher frequencies.

I use the resonance method by coupling in very loosely with a 1 turn loop,
and a VTVM which has a 300Kohm input resistance according to the
manufacturer at 30MHz. That limits the Q you can have. But the capacitor Q
needs thinking about, too.

73

Peter G3RZP