Re: [TowerTalk] 160M DIPOLE USIGN COAX

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160M DIPOLE USIGN COAX
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:22:45 -0600
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:06:24 +0000, ersmar@comcast.net wrote:

>If you do not have enough room for a full size dipole on 160M

I have also had some success using loading coils to electrically
lengthen a dipole, both on 80 and 160. Barry, KU3X (HyPower Antenna
Company) makes some nice loading coils that have worked quite well
for me. At my home QTH, his 100 ft dipole works pretty well on 80,
40, 30, and 17. At another QTH, his 170 ft dipole is working even
better on 160 and 80. In  both cases, the loading coil is designed
to act as a trap on the next higher frequency band.

Tom Rauch has noted that a resonant trap is not always the most
efficient way to build a multiband antenna, and he's probably right.
But Barry's coils work well for me.

Jim Brown K9YC