Re: [TowerTalk] measuring coax loss with an MFJ-259B

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] measuring coax loss with an MFJ-259B
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:48:08 +0000
Pete:

     You are probably correct:  Using your 75 Ohm coax hunk at other than
28.000 and 28.875 (representing 32 and 33 half-wavelengths, respectively, of
your fundamental freq of 1.750 MHz) is putting your measurement into the whacky
world of transmission line mismatches and the Smith Chart.  That is, your
measurement technique is valid ONLY at 28.000 and 28.750 MHz (exact
half-wavelength multiples.)  Away from these freqs and you see the complex
impedance of your far-end coax cable PLUS whatever the length of 75 Ohm cable
looks like.

     This error exists on lower freqs, too, as you probably know.  But the
freqs at which the errors would be reproduced are outside the Ham bands - not
of much interest to you, I suppose.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F