[TowerTalk] Welds

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Welds
From: "R. Kevin Stover" <rkstover@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:48:51 -0600
Thanks to all who sent me the link to the pics.

It looks to me like a stress failure of the tubing rather than a weld
failure. If you look at the close ups of the cracks you'll notice pretty
good looking welds where they welded the attachment plate to the tube.
The tube has cracked above the level of the start/end of that weld and
is an irregular ragged looking crack.

I say this because the crack covers the entire circumference of the tube
and the weld doesn't. It's possible that the welder stayed a little too
long in one spot at the end/start of that weld and weakened the tube at
that one particular spot but that shouldn't weaken the entire tube to
produce a circumferential crack like that. It looks like the tubes
"popped" for lack of a better technical term.

--
R. Kevin Stover ACØH

K2/100 #4684

Reclaim Your Inbox!