Re: [TowerTalk] concrete forms

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] concrete forms
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:00:53 +0100
Jim Jarvis wrote:

>Clive's comments are on-point.  However, if you try to mix at the site,
>you will have to schlepp both bags of 'crete and water.  It might be
>easier to mix below, and have a powered means to transport mixed
>concrete.  IF that proves true...then it may be as well to have
>redi-mixed 'crete delivered, and spend the energy transporting batches
>to the foundations, instead of mixing.

That's absolutely right. However, it's not just a matter of energy - you
need enough capacity to shift a whole truckload of concrete up the hill
very quickly. Otherwise you're into rapidly escalating charges for
keeping the delivery truck waiting on site... and the concrete won't
wait too long either.

Even a small army of wheelbarrows will categorically NOT handle that
amount of concrete over such a long distance uphill. This looks like a
job for an all-terrain dumper truck, which can ferry the concrete
quickly up the hill in bulk. A farming area is a good place to find such
machinery, but I don't envy Adrian the job of organizing the operation.

>Do NOT partially pour a foundation in batches, and expect to have
>anything but conformally shaped rocks holding up your tower. Depending
>on the time
>between
>pours, it likely won't bond properly.

That's right - it would be like a pile of separate slabs, which could be
very bad news for a tilt-over tower.

Adrian's tower specification probably doesn't require rebar in the
concrete base... but that assumes a single pour. If there is any risk of
breakdown in the supply chain for a single pour, then rebar might be
needed to help hold it all together - but follow the Prime Directive and
consult the tower manufacturer.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK