Re: [TowerTalk] N or UHF?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N or UHF?
From: "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:08:19 -0400
All,

I have also personally seen the center pin of a type N
connector that was pulled back in to the shell and had
broken contact with the mating connector.   This happened
during the winter months, and was at the end of a 100'
length of 9913 coax.  I was alerted to this problem because
I could no longer get into the local DX cluster via the
radio that was connected to an antenna using the
coax/connectors in question.

   An investigation revealed that the center pin of the
type N connector on the far-end of the coax had indeed
retracted into the back shell of the type N connector by
approximately 1/16 – 1/18 inch breaking the connection to
the antenna.

 I attribute this to the contraction of the center
conductor of the 9913 coax due to the cold.  Since the type
N center pin is soldered to the center conductor of the
coax, and effectively floats through the insulation
material of the connector shell, the center pin naturally
followed the center conductor of the coax and contracted
in.

   As was mentioned below, this does not happen as often
(at all ?) with  PL-259  connectors.  The difference is
that the PL-259 has a captive center pin where the center
pin is solidly part of the actual connector assembly.
  This gives a strong anchor point for the center conductor
of the coax.

   As was also mentioned below, if you must use type N
connectors on long lengths of air dielectric coax, try to
find connectors with captive center conductors.

73,
Gene K1NR

http://www.nni.com/