[TowerTalk] Two 15M yagi stacking

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Two 15M yagi stacking
From: Stan Stockton <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:55:13 -0600
K1TTT wrote:
 >With 5 or 6 elements from here you can not
cover all of Europe without rotating them.

W4ZV wrote:

         I strongly disagree.  My 6 element KLM array
has a 3 dB beamwidth of about 54 degrees, which
is plenty for Europe.

I guess when people talk about 3 dB beamwidth it is just a measure of
reference, so I will use it as well.  Let's say you could double the boomlength
and realize about 3 dB more of gain than the original antenna.  Now if you want
to compare the two antennas look at what the 6 dB beamwidth is of the new
antenna.  However many degrees that is will be the place where the two antennas
would be equal and everything less than that, the larger antenna will be
better!  I don't know how to calculate it but would bet that if W4ZV antennas
had 3 dB more of gain that the stack would be approximately as good as what he
has even at 27 degrees off in either direction and be better by a VERY
significant margin in the direction he had them pointed..

I'll gladly take all the gain I can get pointed right at Germany.

Stan, K5GO