Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR

To: "Dick Green" <wc1m@msn.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 19:18:55 -0400
Adding ground gain was a trick some manufacturers used to inflate the specs
in their ads. That led to QST banning any gain claims for decades.

I prefer the very basic dBi, then you can toss in the extra numbers if it
makes one feel better!

W2PV selected .59 wave booms. These are non resonant which helps the real
world to conform to the model as well as offering less degradation in
multiband stacking than some other designs.

My current interest in contesting is nil. I often need/prefer deep f/b nulls
when chasing a new one as well as reducing pesky line noise.
When KQ2M was operating from here one effective way of clearing a hole was
to swing one of the antennas stateside when running EU. Depending upon
angles it could have been any one of the 4 in the stack. For WPX he often
kept one pair on EU and the other on USA and constantly moved them around as
propagation dictated. Whatever it took.

I remember one CQ WW that I operated only 10M and worked WAZ in that
weekend. The only antenna that could hold a big JA run in the evening was at
25'. Switching in any other combination dropped them 10-20dB. But thats
drifting off subject.

Now I just have to finish the killer 6M array and get it up on the 180'
tower. At least it will be easier than fighting the KLM 4M-40 that used to
fly there.

Carl
KM1H