Re: [TowerTalk] Current choke beads

To: towertalk@contesting.com (TowerTalk)
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Current choke beads
From: n7ka@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 22:15:24 +0000
WOW.

At the risk of getting flamed to death, here goes.  Actually, there is NO risk
as I know it will happen.

I asked for assistance from those who have gone before and could help to inform
me if I was headed in the correct direction for a commom mode choke for a 6M
antenna project.  I have read I NEED to have one.

I received 1 straight forward comment that said they were using something and
was having NO problems.  It worked OK.  TYhanks.

Another answer was to look at the Jim, K9YC, tutorial for info.  I plan  to do
that so see if a little knowledge will sink into my retired brain.  Also,thanks

I have been wearing out my mouse deleting messages that went into another
galaxy.

IS IT TIME TO HAVE 2 RELECTORS, 1 FOR THE PRACTICAL HOME BUILDER WHO ASKS FOR
IDEAS AND 1 FOR THE THEORITICAL ENGINEER TO DISCUSS THE MERIT OF 0.01 dBi?

I do not own the $30,000 (more or less) worth of test equipment needed, so some
say, just to make a working choke that might cost all of $15.00 to build.  Nor
do I want to own it.  And if I go back a number of years I would not think of
having anything except TEKTRONIX (I worked for then in the 60/70s) equipment in
my home.though they did not build every kind of test equipment.  HP built stuff
TEKdid not anad we should have all said thanks to thenm and others who made
test equipment of various types. (Lets see, where is my FLUKE DMM, SIMPSON 260,
and my TRIPLETT  VOM?)

I am glad progress has been made in equipment and ideas but think about those
of us who go at this hobby from a practical approach.   We do not need to
understand  the intricate details of something to use it or build it.  Yes, its
nice to learn "something"as we go but!"

If I had to know the REASON in detail before a situation occurs I would have to
delve deep into propagation to understand why I worked S5 on 6M  in June at the
bottom of the solar cycle, hey with 5el and 100W from NM guess thats NOT TO
SHABBY.  I do not know how it happened, but the QSL card I received proved it
did happen and thats good enough for me.  Yes, I did learn a little from it and
will be applying that knowledge in the future, so all is not lost.  I also
learned I needed an amp to help overcome the noise level at the other end; S5
was not the only station I heard, just the only one I worked.

Now back to the practical side of this hobby and my DELETE button on the mouse
will probably get overtime work for a few days.

I acknowledge those learned folks who can delve into and understand all of the
theory; more power to you.  We so called practical dummies can benefit when
something practical comes from the theory, and we thank you.

Thanks to those who did provide ON SUBJECT comments to my query.

Now to refill my drink container with more NM SUN brewed iced tea and grease
the mouse keys.

Arne N7KA