Re: [TowerTalk] Cost of cement base

To: wc1m@msn.com, k5fnq@cox.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cost of cement base
From: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:39:15 -0800 (PST)
Dick:

You're lucky, I had a friend from the Boy Scouts who
owned his own excavating business and owed me a favor
so he sent a backhoe over one day to dig by 4x4x6 base
for my WT51 TriEx crankup back in the early 90s.
Unbeknowst to me this area of North Texas between
Dallas and Fort Worth is impregnated with undergound
springs and the 6 foot hole had filled with water by
the next morning.  I even had the city water
department come out because I thought we had a leak
someplace.  They pumped out the hole and then showed
me all of the small springs seeping water on the sides
of the hole.

Ended up hiring a professional tower installer who
hand dug the whole thing, set the base and poured the
concrete, all within 12 hours.  Even then you could
see the "springs" seeping in the hole, but the
concrete went in fast enough so the water was no
problem.

What we couldn't figure out though was the early 1960s
Chevrolet pickup truck steering wheel we found at 6
feet below ground and still in pretty good condition
execpt for a little bit of rust.  I checked with the
city again and they assured me this housing
development (no HOA or deed restrictions) wasn't built
on a landfill in the early 1980s.  Kept looking for
Jimmy Hoffa, but never found anything other than some
very hard and solid pieces of sandstone we had to dig
out by hand since we couldn't get them to break off by
pounding them with a sledge.

We had to pump the concrete from the street since the
driveway wasn't rated for supporting a mixer truck.

Also, we had all the dirt from the first hole pushed
back into it so no neighborhood kids fell in who
couldn't swim.  I didn't have lifeguards on
duty.........

FYI, since I put my tower up they have found this
entire area of North Texas is located on a big
geologic formation called the Barnett Shale and is
apparently full of natural gas.  They're drilling
around here like crazyand some folks are making $$$$
from the drilling rights, royalties, and flat out just
selling their property.  Even the colleges and
universities are allowing drilling on their campuses.
You drive along the north boundaries of DFW
International Airport and I bet there are or were at
one time six drilling rigs that hit big underground
gas pockets.  I think they had to change the landing
pattern on the north end of the main N-S runways
because of the drilling rigs there, even though they
wereall lit up and had big orange flags on top.
Noticed recently that where one rig had been there is
now a "Christmas Tree" control device to feed the gas
into a pipeline.

73 de Tom, WW5L