Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna comparison

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna comparison
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:04:20 -0600
A couple years back I did a comparison between my 80 four square and 3 L
wire beam at 100 ft at the same QTH.  On the short DX I couldn't tell
the difference, however on the long DX the four square was the easy
winner.  The wire beam is now history.  I managed to work the VU7 which
is very, very difficult from my map location.

Doug

I can't tell you much about one el vs two el, but I can tell you about
two
el vs 4 square.  Back around 2000 I played horse races several times on
80
with W4AN in GA who was using a nice 4 square.  I was using a 2 el quad
loop
array spaced about 40 feet suspended on a caternary system at an average
height
of about 130 feet.  At no time did the 4 square beat the 2 el loop  in
to EU
and usually was down at least one S-Unit, sometimes as much as 2
S-units.

I had to make a decision when I moved to KH6 as to whether use a loop
system
or a 4 square on 80.  I chose the loops which I could only put up at  an

average height of 100 feet or less.  I'm glad I did.

YMMV!

Bill K4XS/KH7XS