Re: [TowerTalk] Hindsight: Check your rotator bolts

To: "'Tower Talk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hindsight: Check your rotator bolts
From: "W7TMT" <w7tmt@dayshaw.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 15:53:54 -0700

The "double nut" approach for locking has been used on boat propellers for
decades. One nut locks the other and then, considering the consequences that
loosing your prop can generate, the deal is further sealed with a cotter key
to prevent the two nuts from backing off if they do loosen up. Most of these
prop installations use nuts of different thicknesses. Generally the thinner
nut (half-height) goes against the prop and the thicker nut goes on last. In
theory the thick nut when it is tightened hard against the first nut will
actually relieve the load on the thin nut and the thicker nuts extra threads
will then carry the load. The thin nut simply locks the thick one. (It
should be noted this is one of those things that some boaters argue about
but the process I describe above is what most professional prop shops would
subscribe to.)

So there is considerable precedence for using double nuts for locking
purposes in what is considered a critical application.

73/Patrick
W7TMT

Big snip...