Re: [TowerTalk] Cage Vertical ideas wanted.

To: "Tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cage Vertical ideas wanted.
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 00:07:47 -0000
Clint,

You can make a multi frequency element using the cage method. Just make each
wire a slightly different length. Then it will tune across a larger
bandwidth. I have built multi-band dipoles using antenna rotor cable. This
method is found in some of the older Handbooks. The more the spread, the
easier it is to tune each wire for the desired resonance.

The best way to tune these type antennas is to build it for the lowest
frequency and keep two opposite wires the full length to hold the spreaders
straight, Then cut off some of the elements to cover different higher
frequencies. You will need a spreader to support the end of each wire
element.

My tower guy wires are cut as slopers. One of these is a two wire sloper on
the same feed point at the top of the tower. It covers 3.5 to 4.0 mhz. with
less than 3:1 over the entire range. It is optimized at 3850 and is less
than 1.3:1 between 3750 and 4000. I just use a spreader at the end of the
shorter wire.

There are lots of ways to skin the cat and provide a ladder for the
squirrels. Good luck.

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *
.