Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Collapse - New Kensington, PA @ K3MJW

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Collapse - New Kensington, PA @ K3MJW
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:37:38 -0500

Pete Smith wrote:
> I don't agree - my Rohn 25 would almost certainly fold just like that,
> above the second guy station, if the wrong top guy failed in a high wind,
> and it is well within ratings.

If you've ever seen the ROHN add showing the weights applied to two
towers demonstrating the lateral strength, your 25G is also considerably
stronger than the old American Steel towers in the lateral direction.

But as others have said, something landing on a guy and a guy breaking
is something few towers can handle. The old AS towers used a single
horizontal brace every two feet.  The 25G uses horizontal braces about
16 apart plus diagonal graces.  The AS is "springy" and really needs
additional guys more closely spaced the way they are generally used.

73

Roger (K8RI)