[TowerTalk] 45G Wind Load

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 45G Wind Load
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 07:49:36 -0400
According to my Rohn manual, if I understand the drawings correct, the
maximum wind load for a 70' 45G tower is 15.2 sq.ft. Can someone please
confirm for me that this is correct? The reason I'm concerned (this will be
my first tower) is I see pictures of contest stations with five or six
pretty big yagi's on Rohn 45G towers which I think must really be exceeding
the wind load spec.? I am planning on (following the Rohn recommendations
for tower installation) installing two OptiBeam yagi's, the 40m 2-el and the
tribander 16-el, which have a combined wind load of 19.4 sq.ft.

I live in the south part of Georgia where the A58.1-1982 ANS shows my area
between the 80 and 90 MPH wind speed zones.

Understanding (somewhat) the 'safety factor' included in engineering tower
design, am I putting my tower/yagi system at great risk with a wind load
that is 4.2 sq.ft. over recommended specs.?

Thanks for any comments.

Tom - W4BQF