Re: [TowerTalk] fall arrestor

To: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] fall arrestor
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 07:16:42 -0700
Gene Smar wrote:
> Chris:
>
>     I clip my fall-arrest lanyard to the front of my full body harness
> rather than in the back.  I, too, dislike the possibility of doing a
> face-slammer into the tower.

The back connection is safer. most people's spines bend forward much
better than backwards.  The idea is that when you hit the end of the
rope to stop the fall, that your arms, legs, head, etc, move in their
natural direction (forward).  It also tends to cause you to spin to turn
away from the support, which is a good thing.

This sort of use and scenario is quite different from the usual rock
climbing thing, where you loose your hold and slide/fall down the rock
until your belay catches you.