Re: [TowerTalk] Please remove my address from the list

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Please remove my address from the list
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:13:45 -0700
Jim Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:31:10 -0700, Jack Brindle wrote:
>
>> There are a lot of tools to make email lists a lot easier to work
>> with. Learning to use them is lots of fun, and life is much easier
>> after you do!
>
> Yes. All the good email programs make it easy to sort incoming mail
> into folders. I subscribe to nearly a dozen email lists. Each comes
> into it's own folder, and I read them when I have time.
>
> I do NOT recommend the digest -- that makes it hard to clean up your
> hard drive by deleting stuff you don't care about.

All good suggestions.. but there are a few things that I haven't figured
out a good way to do..  To a certain extent, we are constrained by using
a fairly nice robust transport mechanism (SMTP).

For instance, if you travel somewhere with limited data access, you want
to temporarily "hold" the mail, but get it all when you return (sort of
like your newspaper.. I go away for a week, and the day I get back,
there's a pile of half a dozen papers).

Sure, the archives are there, but then you're stuck going back and forth
between archive (on line) and your mail client trying to follow a
thread.  And horrors if you want to respond to a message that is in the
archive.  I suppose there's probably a way to import an archive into
your mail reader.

One solution, of course, is to use a web access only email system, but
then, you don't have access when you're not online.  I find it quite
convenient to file a bunch of emails on my laptop, and then, off-line,
go through them.