[TowerTalk] Lightning suppression through coax loops

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning suppression through coax loops
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 08:09:22 -0400
I bought an Ameritron RCS-10 antenna switch at Dayton, and in reading
the manual (please, no giggling) I note that it calls for a two-turn
loop in each antenna coax line just before entering the relay box.
These are described as "drip and lightning retarding loops." The manual
is quite prescriptive (for example, "keep coils spaced from each other
by vertical or horizontal separation of 2" minimum"), and I get the
"drip" part, but I wonder what the real, practical effect of these loops
would be.  Is there enough inductance to offer any practical blocking
effect for induced voltages resulting from a nearby strike?

--
73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com