Re: [TowerTalk] Why horizontally polarized antennas?

To: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why horizontally polarized antennas?
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 17:47:01 -0700
Kelly Johnson wrote:
> I've always thought this as well, but others have claimed this is not
> true.  Can anyone explain why this is the case?

That's easy.  Ground waves are always vertically polarized.
Thus if the noise is from a ground based source, and starts
out with both polarizations, only the vertical polarization
survives any significant distance propagating along the ground.
This of course is why AM BCB stations are vertically polarized.

I have taken portable vertical antennas out to places away
from any power lines and they are as quiet as a churchmouse
when the band is closed.  In those areas, they work great
as receiving antennas.  Just as good as a dipole.

Rick N6RK